Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Long covers


Wow, it's been a long time!

Can't say that I've encountered many interesting covers lately.

Just noticed Opeth's Damnation CD lying on my desk and thought about the Call To Irons Maiden tribute they did Remember Tomorrow on. On that album, Opera IX took on Rime of the Ancient Mariner. To my knowledge that's the only time this 14 minute monster has been covered.

Seems rather logical that bands aren't too inclined to dedicate too much time on their albums to coversongs, actually. Dark Moor did Helloween's Halloween, but that's also on a tribute.

On an own album, I recall Transatlantic doing Pink Floyd's classic Shine On You Crazy Diamond, but that was a special bonusdisc feature. Clawfinger did the same song on their Out To Get Me single, which I'm not familiar with.