Friday, October 07, 2005

Owner of a Lonely Beat


Yes' Owner of a Lonely Heart. One of those songs that you keep hearing on the radio. However, recently one Max Graham put it back in the charts. Let me make one thing clear. This is not a cover! Cutting and pasting a song into oblivion and throwing in a beat does not consitute a cover. It's kind of ironic that the 'destruct the original' mentality actually shines through in the fact that the artist column in the charts states Max Graham vs Yes.

While going into the remix phenomenon, I ran into Mylo vs Miami Sound Machine - Doctor Pressure. Haven't heard it yet, but apparently it's Mylo's Drop the Pressure and MSM's Doctor Beat thrown into a blender and provided with a beat. It all sounds a bit too easy, too much like making bucks on the back of someone elses creativity.

Scanning the charts for covers also caused me a near heart attack. Jessica Simpson did Nancy Sinatra's These Boots. Now Megadeth's version with the altered lyrics was fun, but in general I find this a rather boring song. And then to have Jessica Simpson, the girl who thought she could (sing)... do it. I don't even want to hear it!


Comments:
I think it is a bit of an 'old generation'/'new generation' issue. The generation 'now' cannot relate itself to the old songs and I think they don't want to get caught listening to the same music their parents used to listen to. So by adding the beat and using the 'vs' you can bring the 'old' music to the 'new' generation.

I cannot imagine however that the original artists don't see one penny for the song. There is still the copyright issue.

But I agree that it is not a cover... it is merely a remix.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home