Monday, October 17, 2005

Stuck in the middle


In the past I did mention Megadeth as a largely uncovered big thrash band. Last night I was playing Anthrax's Summer 2003 EP, which came with the limited edition of We've Come For You All and contains a bunch of covers. I realised I didn't hear of a lot of Anthrax covers either, so I looked around a bit.

From the classic Among The Living, I could only find Hatesphere doing Caught In A Mosh as US bonus track on their Ballet of the Brute album (cool title!). No I Am The Law, No Indians! Deceased did Deathrider on Behind The Mourner's Veil. Other than that...not a lot!

And there's more artists that cover more than they get covered, even when they're big themselves. Take Bon Jovi! The band's hardly covered despite years of superstardom. Now I know it's only cool to cover underground bands in some circles, but there seems to be a strange category of bands that are generally avoided. Not small enough for the underground and not big/old enough to idolise, probably.