Sunday, November 13, 2005

Sad Reason...what's in a name.


Did a bit more digging on the mysterious Alice In Chains tribute album. It was released by Big Eye Music. They release tribute albums by the dozen. Worse than Dwell Records used to do! An artist seems to get a tribute with them for every top 10 position in the charts. Tried to find sound clips at Amazon and guess what...that actually mentioned the artist : Sad Reason. A bit more googling sent me to a record label in Australia, which mention that band do the entire Alice In Chains tribute. A few soundclips later and I'm still undecided. It's not brilliant, but I've heard worse. Then again, I'm listening to three 30 second clips and not a full album. And I'm not a big Alice In Chains fan to begin with.

What remains is that we're dealing with a band that can't be found with any online presence. Third rate cover band? Mass tribute producing studio musicians? Wouldn't know, but in either case I won't be adding it to my coverdatabase. I've got a rule there requiring artists to have release material of their own as well. Especially nowadays, anyone can produce a cover with a computer and a bit of determination.