Sunday, November 06, 2005

More mr.covernuts



Oh boy did I forget some Gilbert! Paul Gilbert also coverd David Bowie (with Racer X), the Beatles (with all star Beatles coverband Yellow Matter Custard, featuring Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater, ex-Spock's Beard singer Neal Morse and ex-David Lee Roth/Steve Vai Matt Bissonette), Emerson Lake and Palmer, Mozart as well as playing guitar on an Alice Cooper tribute.

While we're dragging classical music into the cover realm here, I have to say that I don't really see that as cover music. After all, when you count that, any performance of any work of Mozart, Bach, Handel, Wagner or Rachmaninov would count as cover. As it were in general other people covering those composer's songs, they never did cover an original performance, did they?

Anyway, Gilbert's 'cover' of Mozart's third movement (allegretto) to Piano Sonata in C (K. 330) (yes, I copy pasted that) has one of the coolest titles I've encountered : Whole Lotta Sonata. Mozart rocked! That somehow brings up the name of an old shortstory by Bruce Sterling and Lewis Shiner : Mozart in Mirrorshades. Cool title, interesting story about what the effects of timetravel could be when influencing the past.

Just doing some work on my forever work in progress cover database website (some stuff can be traced back as far as 2001!). Maybe if this rework is done (I'm calling it 3.0), I will unleash it onto the world at last. Don't hold your breath though.